Tuesday 3 March 2015

I don't have to win a title - Pellegrini

City's defence of their league title took a blow with their 2-1 defeat to Liverpool on Sunday but the manager insists he is not obliged to secure a trophy to keep his job

Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini insists that he is under no pressure to win silverware this season or lose his job.

The Chilean's position at the Etihad Stadium has come under scrutiny after a 2-1 defeat at Liverpool left the champions five points adrift of Premier League leaders Chelsea, who also have a game in hand, as well as a damaging loss to Barcelona in the first leg of their Champions League tie.

But Pellegrini is unconcerned by reports that City are weighing up other options and says that the only time he feels under pressure is when his team fail to perform to the fullest of their ability.

"I never have any pressure about the amount of titles," he told the media. "The only pressure for me is when I see my team not playing in the way I want them to play.

"I repeat, when I signed my contract I was not told I had to win one title every year or five in five years. The title is important but not the only important thing."

Pellegrini confirmed that he had no fresh injury worries ahead of Wednesday's match against rock-bottom Leicester City but did hint at changes to his starting XI.

"The whole team is fit," he said. "We'll see how players from Sunday recover."

No comments:

Post a Comment