Wednesday 11 March 2015

Xavi relieved he stayed at Barcelona

The midfielder was all set to quit Camp Nou and move to MLS side New York City, only to be persuaded to stay by Luis Enrique

Xavi has admitted he is relieved he decided to stay with Barcelona last summer as he prepares to make his 750th appearance for the club against Eibar next weekend.

The midfielder was in advanced negotiations with new MLS side New York City FC before a late plea from Barca coach Luis Enrique changed his mind at the 11th hour.

He has since made 26 appearances so far this season and Xavi is convinced he made the right choice in staying at Camp Nou, where has spent his entire career.

"I'm glad I didn't leave last summer," he said.

"I'm lucky enough to have been at the best club in the world. I've been in the first team for 17 years and, together with the years in the academy, that's nearly 25 years here, which makes me very proud."

The 35-year-old rose to prominence under the tutelage of former Blaugrana boss Frank Rijkaard who saw his potential to play in a more advanced midfield role and Xavi pointed to the Dutchman as a key influence.

He added: "I had no idea that the best years of my career would be further forward in midfield. It was Rijkaard that put me there, he saw that I had a good last pass."

The former Spain midfielder, who retired from international duty after the last summer's World Cup, also enjoyed great success during Pep Guardiola's four-year reign in charge of the club and sees similarities between the now Bayern Munich boss and Luis Enrique.

"They both impose their character and style on their teams. Pep was very vocal and Luis Enrique is too, they both like to have control."

No comments:

Post a Comment